Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium is considered by many to be the last public commission of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. In 1957, Dr. Grady Gammage, then president of Arizona State University (ASU), met with Wright at Taliesin West to discuss the design and construction of a cultural arts center for the university. Although both Wright and Gammage died before construction began in May of 1962, the project was supervised by Wright's architectural firm and was completed in just over two years in 1964.
The auditorium seats over 3,000 people and its outer dimensions are roughly 300L x 200W x 80H feet in size. It has a round roof supported by fifty columns with two ramps for pedestrians that lead into the parking lots. Inside, the stage can be adapted for a variety of uses including opera, musicals, theatre productions and lectures.